Matthew 5:32 - "Causes her to commit adultery"

MDR studies about Jesus' Exceptions and other details from the 4 Gospels.

Postby Assembly Ministries » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:21 pm

By WmTipton

Assertions/Conclusions of this Article

In this writing we will show that in Matthew 5:32 that the husband who has put his wife away, does not cause her to ‘commit adultery’ as many bibles are interpreted as, including the KJV. The Greek in each other instance literally means to ‘commit adultery’ in the present tense, but in Matthew 5:32 where he ‘causes’ her to commit adultery, the the base word is the same, but the suffix shows that it is in the aorist sense (past tense) and the word means ‘to be adultered’ instead of to ‘commit adultery’.

Supporting Evidence

Lets look at 'commits adultery' in a few passages, shall we?

But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
(Mat 5:32)

(in part A where he “causeth her” the Greek is MOIXEYOHNAI -”to be adultered” aorist, past tense ...... and MOIXATAI “commits adultery” present tense in part B )

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery : and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
(Mat 19:9)

(MOIXATAI “commits adultery” present tense in both instances)

And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery. (Mar 10:11-12)

(MOIXATAI “commits adultery” present tense in both instances)

Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.
(Luk 16:18)

(MOIXEYEI “is committing adultery”, present tense, in both cases)

Here is the information on the relevant Greek words...

(Matthew 5:32a where he causes her to..)
3431 MOIXEYOHNAI v_ Aor Pas Inf TO-BE-ADULTERED

VS

(Matthew 5:32b, Matthew 19 and Luke 16)
3429 MOIXATAI v_ Pres midD/pasD Ind 3 Sg IS-committING-ADULTERY
3431 MOIXEYEI v_ Pres Act Ind 3 Sg IS-ADULTERING

Now, lets harmonize these details from the English.

1. when someone divorces their spouse and marries another they commit adultery against that spouse - Luke 16, Mark 10, Matt 5, Matt 19.

2. Exception is offered in the case of fornication when we ' marry another'.

An additional sin above seems to be that the wife is 'caused' to commit adultery simply be being put away.

I was having a hard time understanding how Paul could tell the believer to let the Unbeliever leave (divorce even) and then that would mean that, according to Jesus, that this woman, thru no fault of her own, is now forced to commit adultery simply because Matt 5:32 shows conclusively that even without marrying another, she commits adultery' just because this spouse deserted her.

Quite an ignorant thing on Paul's part, don’t we think, to tell the believer to let the Unbeliever leave, then to see that this allowing them to leave has now caused this believer to commit adultery because the Unbeliever divorced them.

So I got to looking a bit further into the greek and found that the wording there in 5:32 does not have the same meaning as in the others. Why does Matt say "who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery" in the english rendering ...making her an adulteress when she HASN'T committed any sin and only because he has divorced her in this one verse.

In most of those areas where it says ' commits adultery' the Greek the word MOIXATAI is used for all but Luke 16 and ALL mean 'commits adultery' as they state.
In Luke 16:18 the word MOIXEYEI is used. It also is a slight variant of the base word Moicheia, but absolutely still shows present tense 'commits adultery'. (the suffix might add ‘she commits’ or something similar to the base word)
But in Matt 5:32 where it shows that he causes her to 'commit adultery' the word is not the same and means literally 'to be adultered'.

In every case of 'commits adultery' in the passages above it literally means just that ..... adultery is committed when we marry another. But not in the case where she was simply put away where he ‘causes’ it. The word MOIXEYOHNAI there means 'to be adultered' instead.
In every case the tense is present except for in Matt 5:32A where he 'causes' her to commit adultery. That is the only occurrence of the aorist sense.

Now, I’m no Greek scholar, but my guess is that 'commits adultery' there isnt quite the same as where we have remarried, otherwise the greek word would MEAN 'commits adultery’ as in each other case and seemingly should be the same tense at least, as the others were (present).

You'll need something a bit more in depth than a Strongs to study this out.
Check out the Interlinear bible HERE
Thayers shows this of the word in Matthew 5:32a
G3431
μοιχεύω
moicheuō
Thayer Definition:
1) to commit adultery
1a) to be an adulterer
1b) to commit adultery with, have unlawful intercourse with another’s wife
1c) of the wife: to suffer adultery, be debauched
1d) A Hebrew idiom, the word is used of those who at a woman’s solicitation are drawn away to idolatry, i.e. to the eating of things sacrificed to idols

After seeing this, Im personally convinced that this man doesn't cause her to 'commit adultery' as in the other uses of the phrase, but I believe Jesus is simply assigning guilt to this man who has frivolously cast his wife aside by telling him that he has caused her to be 'adultered' (not committing adultery present tense, but past tense 'adultered' just as the greek actually presents )

Adding to this thought, I personally believe, based on the evidence above (going to the GREEK as God 'intended'), that this man does not 'cause her to commit adultery' present tense by putting her away as some believe, but that he simply causes her a state of having been 'adultered'(aorist) by his actions.

Last bumped by Assembly Ministries on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:21 pm.
Assembly Ministries
Site Admin

Return to Exception & Gospels - MDR Studies